PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS THE RUNNER LETTER; IT IS NOT YOUR ENTRY CONFIRMATION. PLEASE CHECK YOU EMAIL AND/OR SPAM FOLDER FOR YOU RUNNER CONFIRMATION LETTER.
Welcome to the 2015, 14th Annual Valley Crest Half Marathon!
We are pleased that you have chosen to participate in our race. Please read the following information containing important details about the race.
RACE DATE – June 14, 2015: Please note that race day is SUNDAY (not Saturday). Start time is 8:00 AM.
THREE IMPORTANT THINGS:
3.CARPOOL Seriously, there is very limited parking!
•3600 Reseda Blvd, Tarzana, CA 91356
•Exit the 101 at Reseda Blvd.
•South on Reseda Blvd.
•Drive approx. 4-miles up the mountain to Marvin Braude Mulholland Gateway Park
•Please observe all speed limits and stop signs along Reseda Blvd.; police will be out.
DRIVING INSIDE THE PARK AND PARKING:
•There is a 15 mph speed limit once you enter the park; this will be enforced.
•Please follow the directions of parking attendants; there is very limited parking within the park.
•Your parking fee is included in your race registration.
•All parking will be head into the curb. Please park as close to the car next to you as safely possible and remember to SET YOUR PARKING BRAKE.
•All parking outside the park gates will be traditional parallel parking.
•A secure area will be provided for you to drop non-valuable items (jackets, bags, etc.), so you wont need to walk back to your car. We will provide plastic bags and pens for labeling. We are not responsible for valuables. Please pick up your belongings after the race, THEY WILL NOT BE MAILED.
PHOTO ENFORCED STOP SIGN:
• There is a two-way PHOTO ENFORCED STOP SIGN inside the park. You must make a complete stop upon ENTERING and EXITING the park to avoid a citation. No California stops!
RACE DAY REGISTRATION: Beginning at 6:00AM on the east side of Reseda Blvd on the lawn. Please go to the table in the center of the lawn to complete your registration form. Incomplete registration forms will not be accepted. Next, please take your form to the REGISTRATION table and pay $80 cash; credit cards or personal checks.
BIB PICKUP: BIBS WERE NOT MAILED THIS YEAR, due to the face that we are featuring chip timing. We have allowed additional time for bib pickup and registration. If you are pre-registered, please go to the bib pickup table and stand in the appropriate line for the first letter of your last name. If you would like us to keep your dry clothes for after the race, we will provide drop bags and marking pens; no valuables please.
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
* 6:00AM to 7:45AM - Check-in; bib pick up; race day registration, space permitting.
* 7:50AM - Race Briefing at the Start Line.
* 8:00AM - Race Start.
* 10:30AM – Awards Presentation on the Grass (time approximate).
* 11:30AM - Course Closure.
THE COURSE – The VCHM is a challenging mountain run. The course is open to public use on race day. You are likely to encounter hikers, joggers, mountain bikers and equestrians. Mountain trail runs may be hazardous. Be prepared to encounter uneven footing and rocks. Falls are a possibility. Encounters with wildlife, including rattlesnakes, are possible. This event will be held “rain or shine”.
* Aid Stations will be approximately 3 miles apart, so it is essential that all runners carry a water bottle.
* Aid stations will provide the following:
~ Aid Station #1 is at mile 3.0 and will have water and Gatorade
~ Aid Station #2 is at mile 6.9 and will have water, Gatorade, salt
~ Aid Station #3 is at mile 9.9 and will have water, Gatorade, salt, oranges
~ Finish Area will have water, Gatorade, fruit and bagels/muffins.
* All runners must wear their race bib plainly visible on the front of their body.
* Course distance is not exact. This is a trail run, it is not USAT&F certified.
* The course is on fire roads with some loose dirt. Trail shoes are recommended however they are not required.
* Course Description: The race will start below Mulholland fire road, at Reseda Blvd. Runners will proceed west on Mulholland fire road for approximately 3.4 miles. Runners will u-turn and head east on Mulholland
fire road approximately 6.8 miles to the 9.8 mile turn-around below Nike Park. From here, runners will head west to the top of Reseda, making a sharp right turn for a steep downhill to the finish.
* Portions of the course will have two-way runner traffic. The racecourse will remain open to recreational use. Please stay to the right side of the fire road at all times.
* The race finishes on a steep downhill. Please use extreme caution during the last stretch.
* Course littering is strictly forbidden. Any runner who is witnessed to be littering will have their race number reported to the race director and will be QDd from the race and banned from participation in future events.
* Pacing Rules: Runners may be legally paced by another runner, who is entered in the race, who is wearing a race bib, who does not enter the course at any point other than the start line, who does not leave the course at any point to re-enter the course at another point. Any other pacing constitutes illegal pacing and will result in disqualification of the runner being paced. Pacing of runners via bicycle is forbidden. Pacing rules will be strictly enforced.
* Dogs are not permitted on the racecourse or at "base camp" on race day.
* Professional photographs will be taken during the race and will be posted on the race website approximately five days after the event http://www.trailrunevents.com. Please support our Race Photographer.
* Finishers will receive the coveted Valley Crest Half Marathon Brooks Race Shirt and Finisher Medal.
* Race results will be posted within seven days, on the race website, http://www.trailrunevents.com.
* The Valley Crest Half Marathon is made possible by the generous support of our Sponsors. Please support our sponsors who are displayed on the sponsor page of the race website: http://www.trailrunevents.com.
EARPHONES /BUDS are discouraged by RRCA for their sanctioned events. We have a ONE BUD ONLY rule at VCHM; please observe this.
AWARDS PRESENTATION will begin at approx. 10:30am. Location of the awards presentation will be on the grass on the east side of Reseda Blvd. If the grass is wet due to rain or sprinklers, the awards presentation will be held on the street. NOTE: Runners must be present and show their race bib to receive awards and raffle prizes. Awards/prizes will not be mailed.
Comfort Inn Warner Center Hilton
20157 Ventura Blvd. 6360 Canoga Ave.
Woodland Hills, CA 91364 Woodland Hills, CA 91367
(818) 347-8080 (818) 596-4500
15433 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Happy Trails and thank you for supporting the Valley Crest Half Marathon.